Wednesday 16 April 2014

The Alexander McQueen Effect


The first time I truly became aware of the influential power fashion has over society, I was watching an Alexander McQueen show online when I was 15 The elaborate prints and extravagant fabrics used to create an over the top, theatrical production was beyond overwhelming. Needless to say, after watching your first McQueen show, you cant stop until you've seen every seasons runway show from the beginning. After multiple hours, I sat, thinking for a long while about the designer, the inspiration and the process of producing the final peices. What intrigued me even more was wondering about the production crew, or who all of these people were who made the show come together seamlessly. I wasn't so much concerned with the people sitting in the front rows, I was aware that they were industry insiders. But I wanted to know everything I could about what it takes to have a massive team of people, specializing in different areas to make one designers collection come alive. 

'The McQueen effect' isn't real, but it should be. It would be used to explain the psychological shift after one watches a McQueen show for the first time. The dust collected in the corners of your imagination would evaporate and you would be left with a sense of creative purpose in the world. As if someone has told you that it's essential for you to contribute to the creative world in your lifetime even if it's just once in a small way. I can't count how many times I've watched or listened to interviews of designers and their inspiration is a McQueen collection, a single outfit or the man himself.  

Like so many others in the industry, Alexander McQueen is the person who inspired me to explore my creativity beyond reasonable measures. It's always a pleasure looking back at his previous work and looking forward to the new designs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment